Comet Wild samples near home

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Stardust, a NASA space capsule carrying precious comet samples from deep space, is scheduled to return to earth January 15, 2006.

Scientists hope to discover new meaning to the beginning of our solar system.

Stardust’s 2.9 billion mile round-trip mission took it halfway to Jupiter to catch particles from Comet Wild 2 two years ago. Its journey will have lasted a total of just over seven years when it lands in the Utah desert.

On Sunday, the ship will remain in space while a 100-pound (45 kg) capsule loaded with comet dust returns to earth and lands at the U.S. Air Force Utah Test and Training Range at 3:12 a.m. local time (5:12 a.m. EST or 1012 GMT). If the skies are all clear on January 15, then people from Northern California, Oregon and Nevada could get quite a show as the capsule enters Earth’s atmosphere. The show will be quick, but should prove impressive.

Comets are thought to be remnants from the process of planet formation, and scientists said the dust collected by Stardust will give them their first opportunity to study pristine samples of materials formed billions of years ago. The particles from the comet were captured using a tennis-racket-sized space probe containing ice-cube sized compartments lined with aerogel, a porous substance that is 99.9 percent air. It is the first time since 1972 that any solid extraterrestrial material has been collected and brought back to Earth, and the first time ever for comet particles.

During its descent over the desert, the capsule is scheduled to deploy two parachutes, though NASA officials said they have prepared for the possibility of a hard landing. A NASA probe called Genesis crashed to Earth in 2004 when its parachute failed to open. That craft had been on a three-year mission to collect solar wind ions, which were recovered by scientists even though the spacecraft was destroyed.

Stardust’s project manager, Tom Duxbury, said that “after the Genesis incident and the Columbia shuttle disaster, the mission’s team spent six months testing and reviewing the spacecraft’s design to make sure there were no errors”. Once the craft is recovered, it will be whisked away to the Johnson Space Center in Houston. Only after it is in a secure lab, free of potential contamination, will the probe be pried open to reveal its payload.

“We are at the end of a fantastic voyage,” Don Brownlee, the lead scientist for the mission known as Stardust, recently told reporters at a media briefing. “We will learn a phenomenal amount… from the most primitive materials in our solar system. It is a real thrilling time.” Now, near the end of its long voyage home, the probe is set to plunge back to Earth in the predawn hours on Sunday.

Posted in Uncategorized

Australian businessman Alan Bond dies aged 77

Friday, June 5, 2015

Australian business tycoon Alan Bond died today after complications from open heart surgery. He was 77.

Following open heart surgery to repair and replace heart valves, leading to complications, Bond was placed in an induced coma. The family released a statement outside the Perth hospital where Bond died in intensive care following his operation on Tuesday.

His son John said, “His body finally gave out after heroic efforts of everyone involved here at the intensive care unit at Fiona Stanley Hospital […] He never regained consciousness after his surgery on Tuesday.”

In the 1980s Bond was one of the richest men in Australia; in 1992 he declared bankruptcy. In 1997 he was convicted and jailed for his involvement in an AU$1.2 billion fraud case. Bond was released in 2000.

In 2008 Australian magazine Business Review Weekly estimated Bond was worth AU$265 million.

Bond leaves behind three children and eight grandchildren.

Posted in Uncategorized

Landscape Design In Charlotte And Your Investment Property

Click Here For More Specific Information On:

byAlma Abell

How bad does the curb appeal look at your investment property? Successful property investors realize the importance of the curb appeal and addressing the backyard too. That is why they always make sure that the landscape design in Charlotte is beautiful, and that it will be easy for a new home owner to care for. With this in mind, it is best to talk to the consultant about the needs of the lawn and what plants will work best for both the back and front yard.

If you are dealing with a dead tree, do not worry. The best landscapers can handle landscape design in Charlotte area and remove the tree. The first thing to do is book an appointment for a consultation. The consultant will meet you at your investment property. Next, you can go over the plans together. For example, you may want flowers to be aligned around the front porch. You may also want some shrubs next to the windows in the front of the home.

In terms of the backyard, you might want to have some bushes, flowering plants and a water feature. The consultant will draw up the plans. After the plans have been agreed upon, the consultant will discuss when the work can start. You will be happy to hear the great news and see the final results. So, speak with the consultant today about best Landscape Design for your investment property.Today’s real estate market is competitive. Buyers who have children have a unique set of needs. They want a home that features a safe backyard and that is easy to maintain. They also want it to look amazing. However, the curb appeal is what draws people into the home. They may never make it to the backyard if the front looks like a mess. With this in mind, it is time to discuss your needs and budget with the consultant. He will be happy to work on the plans with you.

Once the work has been completed, your real estate agent can take pictures of the landscaping. It should be featured in all of your marketing material. So, start planning how your landscape will look today by talking to the consultant.To know more, contact Queen City Lawn & Landscaping

Business Brief for December 8, 2005

Thursday, December 8, 2005

These are some short blurbs about current events in the business world.

Contents

  • 1 New York Stock Exchange to merge with Archipelago Holdings
    • 1.1 Sources
  • 2 Mexican illegal immigrants had jobs in home country
    • 2.1 Sources
Posted in Uncategorized

Canada’s Etobicoke Centre (Ward 3) city council candidates speak

This exclusive interview features first-hand journalism by a Wikinews reporter. See the collaboration page for more details.

Monday, October 30, 2006

On November 13, Torontoians will be heading to the polls to vote for their ward’s councillor and for mayor. Among Toronto’s ridings is Etobicoke Centre (Ward 3). One candidate responded to Wikinews’ requests for an interview. This ward’s candidates include Doug Holyday (incumbent), Peter Kudryk, Lillian Lança, and Ross Vaughan.

For more information on the election, read Toronto municipal election, 2006.

Posted in Uncategorized

Guyanese shadow finance minister Winston Murray dies aged 69

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Guyanese shadow minister of finance Winston Murray has died at the age of 69. Murray died on Monday at Georgetown Public Hospital after collapsing on November 11. His death was announced by Ronald Austin, one of Murray’s colleagues. Murray was also the former Deputy Prime Minister of Guyana.

Murray collapsed while standing in a queue in East Bank Demerara only hours after giving a speech about royalties being taken from mining on Amerindian land. He was then driven to a local hospital by a citizen. He was later transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he was placed on to a life support machine.

President Bharrat Jagdeo paid tribute to Murray. He said “I wish on behalf of the Government of Guyana, and on my own personal behalf, to express our sadness on the passing of the Honourable Winston Murray, Member of Parliament and a former Deputy Prime Minister. Mr. Murray’s passing has robbed this country and especially the National Assembly of an articulate and intelligent debater whose presentations in the House were always of an exceptionally high standard. He was an outstanding Guyanese and fine human being, resolute and firm in his convictions.”

Murray is survived by his wife Marva and their three children.

Posted in Uncategorized

68 pieces of luggage found behind Texas pet store

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

At least 68 different pieces of luggage has been found behind a pet store inside a garbage dumpster in Houston, Texas. The luggage came from several different international flights and authorities do not know how they got there or if the contents of the luggage have been stolen.

“We’re going to be investigating and the authorities are going to be investigating,” said spokeswoman for Continental Airlines, Mary Clark. All luggage was handed over to Continental Airlines.

The luggage is reported to have been sifted through, and most pieces have come from all over the world. The luggage is reported to have come from Bush Intercontinental Airport. Some pieces of the luggage have name tags and Clark states that “we’re trying to reach whoever we need to let them know the bags are there.”

Officers with the Houston Police Department are in charge of the investigation. The luggage was found by individuals who own the pet store.

The FBI has stated that the bags do not pose any danger.

Posted in Uncategorized

Injunction fails to stop decision on waterfront stadium in New Zealand

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Today an injunction that was filed in the High Court yesterday to stop the Auckland City Council and Auckland Regional Council from telling the Government which stadium they prefer has failed. The decision is over a new stadium located on the waterfront of Auckland, New Zealand or an upgrade of the already existing, Eden Park, Auckland. The stadium is for the final of the Rugby World Cup 2011, which New Zealand is hosting.

The injunction was filed by a group of five Aucklanders who believe that the decision is being rushed. The injunction was filed in the name of a private citizen to represent a group of five Aucklanders. Rodney Hide, leader of the ACT party and Member of Parliament (MP) and MP for the Green party, Keith Locke, are helping the fight for the injunction as they believe the Aucklanders have a strong case.

Justice John Priestley said that the group did not need this injunction because they could fight the stadium decision in the future by different means. A second injunction has already been filed for two days, starting December 11.

Mayor of Auckland, Dick Hubbard, said: “The council’s advisors have informed that processes have been proper and appropriate.”

Rodney Harrison, Queens Counsel (QC), said: “The group that lodged the injunction were Auckland ratepayers, residents and concerned citizens but none of whom could be called high profile. I have no idea what those decisions might be. Exactly how the defendants (local government) react to central Government requests or pressure is a matter for them.”

ARC chairman, Mike Lee attacked his own counsel Brian Latimore for failing to follow instructions at today’s High Court injunction hearing. The instruction were “not to oppose any injunction, merely to assist the court by explaining what was going on and leave the argument to the judge and the other parties.”

Mr Lee said: “We were there as peacekeepers not combatants and it seems this guy has gone in and opened fire.”

Patrick McGuire, one of the five Aucklanders who had sought the injunction, said that Mr Hide had introduced all of them to each other after they each wrote a letter to him with their concerns. Mr McGuire said it requires “public input”.

Mr Hide said that he “had acted as a middle-man, arranging for the members of the group to meet with lawyers.” Mr Locke and Mr Hide are working together because they are concerned the legal processes of the decision over which stadium will be chosen and how the decision will be made. Mr Hide said he did not like the waterfront stadium, “I’m not a lawyer but the legal advice we have had is that the injunction has a high chance of succeeding.”

The two councils, Auckland City and Auckland Regional, have been consulting the affected groups to see which decision they should go with. The Auckland City Council is currently in a meeting discussing the stadium decision and the Regional Council will do it tomorrow.

If the waterfront stadium was chosen then the stadium will be located on Ports of Auckland land and they want a guarantee that their running of the ports will not be affected. Denis Carlisle, president of the local Maritime union, said: “The Ports of Auckland are asking for guarantees that they will not suffer any financial loss from the stadium project, and likewise the Maritime Union will be seeking compensation for our members for any loss of work. The issue was about safeguarding Port of Auckland’s role as a major working port.”

“[The Ports of Auckland] is one of the key gateways between New Zealand and the global economy.”

Posted in Uncategorized

Australian swim team pulled from Rio training pool when water turns ‘soupy’

Saturday, August 6, 2016

Concerns about water quality at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games have expanded to include the inside training pool: top Australian swimming coach Michael Bohl moved his Olympic athletes from the main training pool on Thursday citing fear of infection.

The team had a pre-booked session in the training pool where they would have practiced uninterrupted. However, during the session the water in the pool turned, as Bohl described, “cloudy” and “soupy looking”. Concerned about his athletes’ health, he moved them from the training pool to the busier, but cleaner, main competition pool.

Bohl took his concerns to officials and was told the matter would be looked into.

This comes off the back of other water concerns in Rio, particularly in the Guanabara Bay venue for outdoor water events. An Associated Press-commissioned study found Rio’s Olympic waterways contained as much as 1.7 million times worse viral levels than the emergency threshold in Europe or the US. As a result, athletes were advised to keep their mouths closed and avoid putting their heads underwater or risk falling ill.

Swimming events at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games are to begin today.

Posted in Uncategorized

2,000 face redundancy at English steelworks

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Corus Group, the world’s fifth largest steel producer, announced on Friday that it may be forced to mothball its steelworks in Redcar, England. This move would threaten the jobs of the works’ 1,920 employees.

Corus may be forced to close its Teesside operations as a consortium has refused to honour a 10-year contract with Corus’ Teesside Cast Products, which accounted for 78% of the plant’s operations. Corus’ chief executive, Kirby Adams, said he was “extremely disappointed that the consortium members have seen fit to take this irresponsible action.”

Lord Mandelson, Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, said “it is essential that Corus does everything it can legally, and with the government’s assistance, to reinstate the agreement”. Gordon Brown, the British Prime Minister, shared this view saying, “We are doing everything in our power to ensure that the contract is upheld.” Mandelson also said “we are not prepared to reconcile ourselves to the inevitable closure of this plant”.

The leader of Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council, Councillor George Dunning, said “Today is like being hit by a mini earthquake compared to what’s happened in the past.”

Martin Callanan and Stephen Hughes, Tory, and Labour MEPs for North East England, supported the idea that the government should subsidise wages in the plant on a temporary basis. Hughes and Fiona Hall, Lib Dem MEP, suggested that the government should apply to the EU’s Globalisation Adjustment Fund. Hall said “if the worst comes to the worst and jobs are indeed lost, I trust the Government will change its mind and support an application to the European Globalisation Fund in order to fund skills training for those who have lost their jobs.”

This move could “bring to an end a fine heritage of steelmaking at Teesside”, according to Adams. Steelworks in Teesside, which previously belonged to British Steel and Dorman Long, produced steel for famous structures like the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Corus had said it was likely there would be a “very significant number of redundancies” and a 90-day consultation period is due to begin.

Corus’ owner, Tata Steel, are also facing difficulties with another UK operation, automobile company Jaguar Land Rover.

Posted in Uncategorized